After taking over Chadstone and St Kilda, beloved bakery Black Star Pastry is finally coming to the CBD. They’re setting up shop in Driver Lane near Emporium, inside the city’s former Money Order Office. Home to the famously Instagrammable Strawberry Watermelon Cake, Black Star Pastry will showcase their signature cakes, as well as a range of all-day bites and new pastries for city-goers. They will open their CBD store on Saturday April 8.
Black Star Pastry
Tucked in a laneway between Emporium and Melbourne’s GPO building, this central location will bring their range of treats to a wider range of sweet lovers.
“The city’s laneways are the heartbeat of the CBD, providing the foundations for a strong art and hospitality culture,” said General Manager, Danielle Laskovsky. “When searching for our third Melbourne home, we wanted to bring Black Star Pastry to the city’s laneways, the source of Melbourne’s coffee culture, to be present in an iconic location that is loved by many.”
Wander over to the heritage building, and try a range of sweet and savoury new pastries. New flavours include:
- Rose and Pistachio Croissant – flaky croissant filled with strawberry and rose cream. It’s dipped in strawberry chocolate and sprinkled with rose petals and pistachios.
- Chocolate and Hazelnut Croissant – a sweet combo of chocolate and hazelnut praline whipped ganache. This dreamy croissant is also garnished with luscious ganache and handcrafted chocolate stars.
- Pina Colada Croissant – this croissant is filled with a creamy coconut glaze that’s blended with caramelised sweet pineapple. It’s garnished with lime and coconut marshmallow, and topped with pineapple pieces and a cheerful cocktail parasol.
- Umami Brioche – shitake and champignon mushrooms in a cheesy miso béchamel sauce. This pastry is sprinkled with a furikake seasoning.
- Matcha Ceremony – a black cocoa powder pastry shell that’s hand-painted with gold cracks in the style of Kintsugi. It’s then filled with a rich matcha cream and layers of matcha mousse and matcha powder, with a gold leaf on top.
There will be a range of all-day treats available for you to try, like ham and cheese croissants, Japanese chicken pie and Peek Danish. Of course, there will also be a range of their signature cakes.
The opening hours for the CBD store are:
- Monday to Thursday – 8am to 6pm
- Friday – 8am to 7pm
- Saturday – 9am to 7pm
- Sunday – 9am to 6pm