Melbourne’s longest-running and largest community festival is coming back for its 69th year. Expect the classic traditions, like the Moomba Parade, Birdman Rally on the Yarra River and the Moomba Carnival. After a record-breaking crowd of over 1.4 million people last year, an extra day has been added to the line-up. Check it out and have some fun over five fabulous days at Moomba Festival, from Thursday March 9 to Monday March 13.
As always, this festival will take place across the Labour Day long weekend, with an extra day added for good measure. Discover over 60 performers and entertainers on the banks of the Yarra, such as acrobats, dancers, musicians and actors. The kids will have plenty of fun, with interactive activities and play zones, as well as a Bluey Live experience. There will also be a Moomba Skate Park Program, perfect for scooting, skating and riding.
“This year’s Moomba Festival is bursting at the seams – so much so that we’ve decided to add a whole extra day to the program,” said Lord Mayor Sally Capp. “Across the five day extravaganza, we’re expecting more than one million Melburnians to flock to the banks of the Yarra to immerse thmeselves in festival favourites and provide a significant boost to city businesses.”
Expect plenty of food and drink, with over 25 food trucks to choose from.
Highlights of Moomba include:
- Moomba Parade – see five new floats and puppets, as well as over 1800 people from cultural groups, dance troupes, marching bands and more.
- Birdman Rally – in this hilarious competition, brave participants don handmade flying devices, and throw themselves over the Yarra in the name of charity
- Moomba Carnival – discover thrilling rides and games for all ages
- Moomba Masters – see both international and Australian athletes compete in a water sports competition
- Fireworks – feel dazzled by nightly fireworks displays, and enjoy nightly feature films on the Moomba big screen
- Thursday March 9, 5pm to 10pm
- Friday March 10, 5pm to 10pm
- Saturday March 11, 10am to 10pm
- Sunday March 12, 10am to 10pm
- Monday March 13, 10am to 10pm