The beloved Moonlight Cinema is coming back to Melbourne for its 28th summer season. Brush off your picnic blankets, breathe in the balmy night air, and look forward to box office blockbusters, festive films and family favourites. This outdoor cinema event will return to Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide, and will take over Melbourne’s Royal Botanic Gardens from December 1 to March 30.
Moonlight Cinema Program
Look forward to new Hollywood blockbusters, including The Hunger Games: Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes, Trolls Band Together and the new rom-com, Anyone But You.
If you’ve been as excited about Barbie as we have, look forward to a full weekend of “Pink Party” screenings on December 8 and 9. All Barbies and Kens are encouraged to dress up in rose, pastel or bright pink, and enjoy this hilarious movie starring Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling.
Of course, December will be full of Christmas classics, including Love Actually, National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation, Die Hard, Home Alone, How the Grinch Stole Christmas and Elf.
During December, you’ll also find special preview screenings of the critically acclaimed May December, starring Natalie Portman and Julianne Moore, as well as Next Goal Wins, starring Michael Fassbender.
For a bit of 90s nostalgia, look forward to Jurassic Park and The Mighty Ducks.
What else can you look forward to?
Each Moonlight Cinema location will have their own kitchens, bars, on-site activations and bean bags. Look forward to things like:
- Platinum Experience – Melbourne and Sydney can relax with an exclusive hamper, featuring picnic delicacies from Victoria’s High Country. You’ll also enjoy waiter service to your deluxe double bean bag.
- AAMI Gold Grass – Get great views and waiter service, with food and drink delivered straight to your bean bag.
- Connoisseur Lounge – Love ice cream? This option is for you. Receive a Connoisseur Gourmet Ice Cream stick and settle in to a bean bag in a reserved area.
- K9 Natural – Moonlight Cinema is a dog-friendly event. Ensure your dog stays as comfy as you by hiring out a dog bean bed.
- Garnier Garden Cart – Take home samples of Garnier products from the Garnier Garden Cart.
- Official Aperol Spritz Bar – Sip on freshly made Aperol Spritz over the summer with this new bar.
How should I prepare?
If you’re not hiring a bean bag, you’re welcome to pack your own picnic rug and sprawl out across the lawn for a perfect night at the movies. Avoid any pesky bugs by wearing insect repellent, and bring a blanket or wear layers to keep you warm. Of course, you’re welcome to BYO your own food and drink, including alcohol.
However, if you forget to bring snacks, there will be a range of food and drink to purchase from food trucks on-site. There will also be a licenced bar.
This is a dog-friendly experience, so you’re welcome to bring your pooch for company as long as they’re well-behaved.
Moonlight Cinema dates around Australia:
- Adelaide – Botanic Park – November 30 to February 14
- Brisbane – Roma Street Parklands – November 23 to February 18
- Melbourne – Royal Botanic Gardens – December 1 to March 30
- Perth – Kings Park & Botanic Garden – November 24 to March 24
- Sydney – Centennial Parklands – November 23 to March 24