Escape to another time.
Ah Melbourne. With all the hustle and bustle of the city, it can be strange to look back and see what’s changed and what’s stayed the same. Fashions may have changed and we don’t use horses to get around anymore, but in these vintage photos, you’ll see the same Melbourne that you know and love. Enjoy our round-up of excellent vintage photos of Melbourne.
1. Exhibition Building and Gardens, c. 1890-1900s
2. Alexandra Avenue, Queen Victoria Gardens and Yarra River, 1897-1903
3. Front entrance of Flinders Station, c. 1910.
4. Collins Street, looking towards Spencer Street c. 1910-20
5. Bourke Street, Melbourne’s Shopping Centre, 1915
6. The Palais and Luna Park, St. Kilda, 1920-1954
7. Campbell Arcade, subway from Flinders Street Railway Station to Degraves Street, 1920-1954
8. Family sitting in garden at Cook’s Cottage, Fitzroy Gardens c. 1930s
9. Gog and Magog, Royal Arcade, 1945-1954
10. Elizabeth Street, looking from Flinders Street, 1950.
11. Block Arcade, 60s
12. Little Bourke Street, 60s
13. Milk Bar, 1969
14. Swanston Street, 70s
15. St Kilda, 80s
16. Lygon Street, 1983
17. Melbourne Central, 1991
If these images have piqued your interest, Old Vintage Melbourne is a great way for you to fall down a historical rabbit hole on Instagram. Otherwise, check out resources like the State Library of Victoria for more archives.