We’ve got a pretty good nightlife here in Melbourne, but it’s about to get even better thanks to the Dusk till Dawn Activation Grants program by the City of Melbourne. Get excited for a shimmering disco laneway, a weekly salsa party, a moon lantern festival and more! These activations will take place between May 1 and October 31 this year, and will take over the night-time hours between 6pm and 6am.
Dusk till Dawn program
Melbourne’s nightlife is currently thriving, with general night-time activity in March at 107% of pre-pandemic levels. Last month, Melbourne had a heap of events to encourage visitors after dark, including Moomba, the Melbourne Food & Wine Festival and the Melbourne Fashion Festival. This Dusk till Dawn program will build on that momentum.
“With pedestrian activity exceeding pre-pandemic levels, and a record $1.1 billion injected into our economy in December – almost half of which was spent outside of standard business hours – we’re well on track to becoming a 24-hour city,” said Lord Mayor Sally Capp.
Events you can look forward to this year include:
- Mambomania – created by The MBassy Dance, this will be a weekly salsa party. Dance through a digital art installation at this night-time event.
- Melbourne Shimmer Lane – head to Meyers Place for an immersive disco lane experience by Vee Agency.
- Moon Lantern Festival – celebrate Asian culture, dining and entertainment at this colourful festival by the Museum of Chinese Australian History.
- Glow Comic Trails – go on a series of walking tours and workshops that celebrate comic art by Melbourne artists in this experience by Laneway Learning.
- Maho Magic Bar – this immersive magic show by Broad Encounters Productions will take you to neon-lit Tokyo. Expect plenty of mischief, laughter and cocktails at this production in Chinatown.
- Community Capsule – this visual storytelling experience by Committee for Melbourne will showcase what it means to be a Melburnian.
This program is part of the $200 million Melbourne City Revitalisation Fund. For more information, click here.