Australia’s largest photography festival is coming back to Melbourne for its third edition. Look forward to 100 free exhibitions and outdoor installations across seven Festival Precincts in Melbourne, as well as five cities in regional Victoria. PHOTO 2024 International Festival of Photography will feature over 150 contemporary photographers and artists from Australia and around the world. The biennale will take over ACMI, Fed Square, State Library Victoria and more. Check it out from March 1 to 24, 2024.
PHOTO 2024: International Festival of Photography
The theme for PHOTO 2024 is “The Future Is Shaped by Those Who Can See It”. Through this mammoth program, the festival invites you to discover any possible and parallel futures, with topics like AI-generated images, climate change and surveillance evasion.
“The world has changed immeasurably in recent years and what lies ahead is far from certain,” said Elias Redstone, Founder/Artistic Director. “At PHOTO 2024, visionary artists and photographers are sharing their insights of the world as it is today to raise questions about what lies in store for us tomorrow.”
There’s 29 outdoor installations and 71 exhibitions in museums and galleries for you to explore around Melbourne and Victoria. On top of the exhibitions, there will also be curated talks, tours, workshops and experiences across four Focus Weekends.
The seven Festival Precincts around Melbourne include:
- Melbourne Arts Precinct – ACMI, Fed Square, St Paul’s Cathedral, Anna Schwartz Gallery, Melbourne Town Hall and more.
- Parliament Precinct – Parliament of Victoria, Parliament Gardens, Treasury Precinct and more.
- State Library Precinct – State Library Victoria, RMIT Gallery, RMIT Design Hub, Arts House.
- Fitzroy/Collingwood Precinct – Centre for Contemporary Photography, Collingwood Yards, Abbotsford Convent and more.
- Brunswick Precinct – Counihan Gallery, Daine Singer, Hillvale Gallery and more.
- South Precinct – Museum of Australian Photography, Prahran Skate Park, Linden New Art and more.
- West Precinct – Footscray Community Arts, The Substation, Werribee Park and more.
Regional Galleries include Art Gallery of Ballarat, Castlemaine Art Gallery, Shepparton Art Museum, Benalla Art Gallery and Latrobe Regional Gallery.
For more information about this extensive festival, click here.