Despite being the shortest month of the year, February has a lot of events and special days packed into it. Embrace new beginnings and good food with Lunar New Year, then get all loved up for Valentine’s Day. Check out some cool festivals and soak in the sun before summer is over. There’s heaps of things to do in Melbourne this February, so scroll through this list if you need some ideas.
1. Celebrate Lunar New Year
It’s the Year of the Tiger! Celebrate new beginnings with some of these cool events around Melbourne.
2. Check out these film screenings at Fed Square
To celebrate Lunar New Year, Fed Square are running special and free film screenings on their outdoor screen.
3. Explore Fed Square for other cool events
Fed Square is here to keep you occupied all summer long, with their stacked range of fun and free events. Listen to live music, see an inflatable Koi fish fountain, marvel at an urban silo art trail and more!
4. See the Summer Nights Drone Show
The drone show has extended its season, and will continue to soar above Victoria Harbour until February 5.
5. Have fun at Midsumma Festival
Midsumma has a stacked calendar of events, such as live performances, social events and exhibitions. The iconic Melbourne Pride March will take place on February 6, and the festival will come to a close on February 13, with Melbourne Pride – A Road to Pride.
6. Watch movies at MIFF’s Summer Screenings
Head to Bunjil Place and enjoy films handpicked by MIFF over four summer evenings.
7. Be amazed by Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel: The Exhibition
This wonderous exhibition will transport you straight to Rome. See Michelangelo’s works of art like never before, up close and personal with brand-new perspectives. Get your tickets here.
8. Frolic around Bloomville by Sugar Republic
Head west to Aintree for this wonderful pop-up experience by Sugar Republic! Take perfect photos in this colourful location.
9. Savour 144 different flavours at this magical Ice Cream Festival
Discover 12 new interesting flavours over 12 glorious days.
10. Party it up at St Kilda Festival
Groove to live music, be amazed by street performers and try delicious food at this wonderful festival.
11. Catch a movie at Barefoot Cinema
This outdoor cinema experience is back, and they’re taking over three fabulous locations from January until March. This February, Barefoot Cinema will run in the beautiful St Kilda Botanical Gardens.
12. Listen to music at Live at the Bowl
Enjoy wonderful, open-air performances at this iconic location. This February, there will be classical music, street dance, contemporary music and more.
13. Feel chic at NGV’s Chanel exhibition
The long-awaited exhibition, Gabrielle Chanel. Fashion Manifesto, is as fabulous as it sounds. Find it at NGV International.
14. Stay late at NGV Friday Nights
Browse the Chanel exhibition in the evening, then listen to live DJs and try some French-inspired dining.
15. Splash around in NGV’s Pink Pond
Cool down in this gorgeously pink experience.
16. Check out Prahran Market for their seafood sessions
There’s plenty of fish in the sea and in Prahran Market. Expect the best in seafood delights and summer sips, as well as fun games, local DJs and entertainment. Visit Prahran Market every Friday evening in February, from 5pm.
17. Check out MPavilion
MPavilion is here in Melbourne for its longest season ever. Enjoy cultural events, talks, performances, installations and more. See their full program here.
18. Zip around the city on these cool e-scooters
There’s 1500 e-scooters available to rent across the City of Melbourne, City of Yarra and City of Port Phillip as part of a one-year trial.
19. Be immersed in Van Gogh at The Lume
See Van Gogh’s masterpieces come to life in this multi-sensory exhibition at the LUME.
20. Dance under the sunshine at So Frenchy So Chic
Listen to French music, dance your heart out, and feast your way through French cuisine when this festival takes over Werribee Park on February 13.
21. Watch movies at Melbourne Zoo
Visit the zoo after-hours and see a wide range of movies against the night sky.
22. Go on a Sunset Safari at Werribee Open Range Zoo
Hop on a safari bus and witness some of the world’s most majestic animals roam about the Savannah at dusk. Immerse yourself in a bit of nature every weekend, from now until March 13.
23. Laugh out loud at The Wedding Singer: The Musical Comedy
See this beloved rom-com live on stage. Get your tickets here.
24. Try out some masterclasses at Brunswick Aces
25. Go on an icy adventure at Touching the Void
Melbourne Theatre Company is ready to take you on a jaw-dropping adventure. Based on a true story, find this exhilarating international hit is landing at Southbank Theatre. Be transported to the glacial peaks of the Peruvian Andes and watch two mountain climbers make life-or-death decisions in this Australian premiere. This show will run until February 19.
26. Follow it up by watching Fun Home
If heartfelt musicals are more your style, see this Tony-award winning musical about growing up and coming out. This show will run at Art Centre’s Playhouse from February 7 to March 5.
27. Have fun at Shakespeare’s The Comedy of Errors
hakespeare Under The Stars is back at Royal Botanic Gardens with a production of the hilarious, The Comedy of Errors. Sprawl out on Southern Cross Lawn and laugh till you cry, from now until February 19.
28. See a movie under the stars at Moonlight Cinema
Enjoy a mix of new releases and romantic favourites under the stars at Royal Botanic Gardens.
29. Pick your own sunflowers at this sunflower field
Brighten up your summer by picking your own sunflowers. Drive out to Dunnstown, not too far from Ballarat, and wander along the golden fields. Pick Your Own Sunflowers is reopening when the flowers bloom this summer, from the end of February to March.
30. Watch a bit of Twilight Beach Polo
After a two year hiatus, the Twilight Beach Polo tournament is coming back to St Kilda on February 5.
31. Feel the magic at the Disney + Drive-In
Head to Melbourne Showgrounds and watch some magical movies from the comfort of your car.
32. Get crafty at the Ballarat Beer Festival
Expect over 150 brews, live music and more at this festival on February 19.
33. Satisfy your carvings at Melbourne Street Eatz
Be surprised by a weekly rotation of delicious food trucks in South Wharf. Enjoy it Thursday to Sunday, all the way until April!
Boho Luxe Market
Discover glamping tents, music, homewares, fashion, accessories, workshops, sound healings and more at the Timber Yard, from February 11 to 13.
35. Be amazed by the Wine and Cheese Fest
Savour plenty of wine and cheese at this delicious festival in the Timber Yard. This event will take place on February 26. Get your tickets here.
36. Solve a murder mystery at Labassa Mansion
Roam the rooms of this opulent mansion and search for clues to solve a murder. Get your tickets here.
37. Munch on these adorable tiger buns
Celebrate Lunar New Year with these sweet buns from Din Tai Fung.
38. Enjoy a show at the Malthouse Outdoor Stage
Enjoy an array of live shows outside. Music, dance, comedy, theatre, talks and more – there’s something for everyone this summer.
39. Cool down with frozen margaritas from El Camino Cantina
Two delicious flavours are mixed together into one perfect drink. This is the perfect way to beat the summer heat.
40. Discover an amazing Farmgate experience
41. Feel super cute at MC Mart
Frolic in this kawaii art installation by Lauren Carney at Melbourne Central. While you’re at Melbourne Central, keep an eye out for Lunar New Year offers and giveaways, including a chance to win free Yeezys.
Summer Night Market
After two years, Summer Night Market is back at Queen Vic Market! Roam the market stalls while listening to great music and sipping on cocktails. Summer Night Market will take place on Wednesday nights, from now until April 6.
43. See the spectacular Moulin Rouge
This larger-than-life musical will take your breath away! Find it at the Regent Theatre.
44. Be whisked away to Hogwarts with Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
Be amazed by this magical play and watch it in the original two-part format.
45. Be dazzled by Imaginaria
Unleash your imagination and discover mesmerising new installations at Imaginaria in Docklands.
46. Take a spooky ghost tour at Pentridge Prison
Visit the historical D Division of Pentridge Prison, and discover the dark tales and tough truths of its past. Your journey begins here.
47. See spectacular creative works at Melbourne Art Fair
53 leading galleries from around Australasia are coming together for the Melbourne Art Fair in 2022. Find it at Melbourne Exhibition Convention Centre from February 17 to 20. Meanwhile, there will also be a virtual art fair from February 17 to March 3.
48. Have fun at the Where the Wild Things Are Festival
Head to Montsalvat in Eltham for this cool music and arts festival. This family-friendly experience combines markets, bars, food stalls, workshops, stages and more. Learn more here.
49. Visit Brighton Beach for Soul Night Market
Enjoy some mouth-watering street food and browse local creations at the market stalls, while taking in gorgeous ocean views. This will take place on February 4. See details here.
50. Check out this Summer Night Market at Collingwood Yards
Discover local creations at this summer market in Collingwood Yards on February 5. More info here.
51. See a performance of Jagged Little Pill
Be amazed by this dynamic musical, inspired by Alanis Morissette’s album of the same name. Enjoy this Grammy-winning show at Melbourne’s Comedy Theatre this February.
52. Check out the National Sustainable Living Festival
This festival aims to increase the amount of people living sustainably, and to address the global climate and biodiversity emergencies. The festival will last all month long, and is packed with both virtual and in-person events. See more here.
53. Marvel at the Fleurs de Villes Flower Show
Life-size, fresh floral installations will bloom across Melbourne Emporium over ten days this February.
54. See A Miracle Constantly Repeated
Step into the mysterious Flinders Street Ballroom and see this surreal exhibition by Patricia Piccinini.
55. See the Melbourne Women in Film Festival at ACMI
Returning for its sixth year, explore the voices and creativity of women and gender diverse people in this film festival. This year, there will be films and panel discussions, as well as online events. This festival will run from February 10 to 14.
56. Celebrate Valentine’s Day
57. Visit Science Gallery Melbourne for MENTAL
See over 20 experimental projects from local and international artists about mental health.
58. Play in The Funderdome
Head to Highpoint for a round of mini golf, a 70’s inspired karaoke session, arcade games and more.
59. Let go of your stress in The Smash Room
Head out to Keilor and smash some objects with the support of your friends.
60. Visit some of the best beaches in Australia
Tourism Australia announced the top 20 best beaches in Australia, and three Victorian beaches made the list. If you haven’t been, take a drive this February and see them before summer is over.